In Warriors for a Living, Idan Sherer examines the experience of the Spanish infantry during the formative period of the Italian Wars. Decades of clashes between Spain and France transformed Italy into a crucible of military tactics and technology and brought about the emergence of the Spanish infantry tercios as Europe's finest military force for more than a century. From their recruitment, through the complexities of everyday life in the army and culminating in the potential brutality of soldiering, the book offers a fresh and much needed exploration, analysis and, at times, reconsideration of what it meant to be a professional soldier in early modern Europe.
|Name||History of Warfare|
- Atrocities -- Italy -- History -- 16th century
- Italy -- History -- 1492-1559
- Italy -- History, Military -- 1268-1559
- Soldiers -- Spain -- History -- 16th century
- Spain -- Ejército -- Infantería -- History -- 16th century
- Spain -- History, Military -- 16th century