The present boundaries of Israel, according to their origin, belong to two categories: boundaries created by colonial powers during the first quarter of the twentieth century, and boundaries which came into being since the birth of Israel, formally armistice lines, cease fire lines, or lines of separation. Under the 1979 Egyptian Israeli peace treaty, followed by international arbitration to settle differences concerning the position of small segments of the boundary, the 1906 boundary was fully restored and newly demarcated. The determination of the exact position of the boundary along the river Jordan, perhaps accompanied by demarcation, on the agenda of the peace talks between both countries. Under a concession granted in the early 1920s by the British authorities in both Palestine and Transjordan, an Israeli company built a hydro-electric power station utilizing the junction of the Jordan and the Yarmouk.
|Title of host publication||Peace in the Middle East|
|Subtitle of host publication||The Challenge for Israel|
|Number of pages||4|
|State||Published - 1 Jan 2014|
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Arts and Humanities(all)
- Social Sciences(all)