Influence of vinyl polysiloxane impression techniques on marginal fit of metal frameworks for fixed partial dentures

Joseph Nissan, Ofir Rosner, Gal Rosen, Sarit Naishlos, Eran Zenziper, Helena Zelikman, David Lavi, Liat Chaushu

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Impression technique is one of the factors affecting restoration fit accuracy, which is a major aspect influencing its survival. The purpose of this study is to compare, in vivo, the effect of two commonly used Vinyl Polysiloxane (VPS) impression techniques on the metal framework fitting of fixed partial dentures. Ninety-two consecutive patients, diagnosed as partially edentulous, treated by fixed partial denture restorations, participated in the study. Group 1-impressions (n = 44) were subjected to the 1-step technique, while group 2 impressions (n = 48) were subjected the 2-step technique. Three accuracy assessment common methods: probe, tactile sense and radiographic test, were used to validate the clinical fit of the metal framework. Misfit was defined as even one test failure. Twenty-one (22.8%) out of 92 metal frameworks exhibited metal frameworks misfit, whereas the other 71 (77.2%) were found to be accurate. Group 1 presented significantly (p = 0.04) more metal frameworks misfit, 14/44 (31.8%) vs. 7/48 (14.6%). Restoration location (maxilla vs. mandible) had no statistically significant impact on the results (p = 0.461). The use of the VPS putty/wash 2-step impression technique is recommended to improve the clinical fit of fixed partial denture restorations.

Original languageEnglish
Article number4684
Pages (from-to)1-6
Number of pages6
Issue number20
StatePublished - 2 Oct 2020


  • Impression techniques
  • Marginal fit accuracy
  • Vinyl polysiloxane

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Materials Science(all)
  • Condensed Matter Physics


Dive into the research topics of 'Influence of vinyl polysiloxane impression techniques on marginal fit of metal frameworks for fixed partial dentures'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this